Modi Rushes Home as Kashmir Attack Leaves 26 Dead, PM Vows Terror Will Never Win
26 Killed in Brutal Pahalgam Terror Attack: Navy Officer, Foreigners Among Victims
PM Modi Cuts Short Trip, Vows Justice; NIA Begins Investigation
 A Vacation Turns Into a Nightmare
A peaceful spring afternoon in Kashmir’s scenic Pahalgam turned into a bloodbath on Tuesday, April 22, as terrorists opened fire on unarmed tourists in Baisaran Valley, a popular spot often called “Mini Switzerland.”
At least 26 people were killed, including a newlywed Navy officer, an Intelligence Bureau official, two foreign nationals, and two locals, making it one of the worst terror attacks in Jammu and Kashmir in recent years.
The attack began around 2:30 PM, catching holidaymakers completely off guard. Witnesses say armed terrorists suddenly appeared from the hills and started shooting at random. The valley, known for its open landscapes and rolling meadows, offered little to no cover for those under fire.
 Stories of Loss: A Navy Officerâs Honeymoon Ends in Tragedy
Among those killed was Lieutenant Vinay Narwal, a 26-year-old Navy officer who had been married just seven days earlier. He was shot in the head while eating lunch with his wife. She survived, but now lives with the unimaginable trauma of witnessing her husbandâs murder on their honeymoon.
An Intelligence Bureau official was also gunned down in front of his wife. One witness recounted a woman sobbing next to her wounded husband, pleading for help, saying, âPlease save my husband. For Godâs sake, save him.â
In another gut-wrenching video, a woman who lost her husband said the terrorists told her, “Go tell Modi.”
 NIA on Site, Army Launches Manhunt
Soon after the attack, a team from the National Investigation Agency (NIA) was dispatched to Pahalgam to lead the probe. The Army, CRPF, and local police have launched a massive manhunt to find the attackers.
According to initial reports, the perpetrators likely crossed over from Kishtwar and used remote paths through Kokernag in South Kashmir to reach the valley. The terror group The Resistance Front (TRF)âa shadow outfit linked to Lashkar-e-Taibaâhas allegedly claimed responsibility, though official confirmation is pending.
 Military Choppers Deployed for Rescue
Due to the region’s difficult terrainâonly accessible by foot or horsebackâmilitary helicopters were immediately deployed to evacuate the injured and transport them to nearby hospitals.
Medical teams and trauma support staff have been rushed in. The exact number of injured is still being confirmed, but eyewitnesses said many were in critical condition.
 PM Modi Cuts Trip Short, Chairs Emergency Security Meet
Prime Minister Narendra Modi was on a state visit to Saudi Arabia when the incident occurred. He cut the trip short and flew back to India immediately, landing at Palam Air Force Base in Delhi early Wednesday.
In a strongly worded post on X (formerly Twitter), PM Modi wrote:
âThose behind this heinous act will not be spared. Their evil agenda will never succeed. Our resolve to fight terrorism is unshakable.â
Shortly after, the Prime Minister chaired a Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS) meeting, Indiaâs highest-level decision-making body on national security.
 Ministers and Security Forces on Alert
Home Minister Amit Shah traveled to Pahalgam late Tuesday night after an emergency video call with NSA Ajit Doval, J&K Chief Minister Omar Abdullah, and J&K Governor Manoj Sinha.
Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman also cut short her official visit to the USA and Peru and is on her way back to India.
Meanwhile, Delhi Police has increased security across the capital, especially around tourist areas and border checkpoints. Traffic in sensitive zones is being strictly monitored.
 Airlines Waive Flight Fees, Offer Extra Flights
In a bid to support affected families and ease movement, Air India and IndiGo have waived cancellation and rescheduling fees for flights to and from Srinagar. Extra flights are also being operated to manage the rush of returning tourists and security personnel.
 World Leaders Condemn the Attack
The global community has stood by India in this moment of tragedy. Condemnations and expressions of solidarity have poured in from:
-
U.S. President Donald Trump
-
Russian President Vladimir Putin
-
Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni
-
United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres
-
European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen, who called it a âvile terror attackâ
 What Comes Next?
This attack has raised fresh concerns over cross-border terrorism, and intensified calls for stronger action against terror groups operating with Pakistani support.
While the full extent of the conspiracy is still under investigation, the Pahalgam massacre is already being described as a turning pointânot just because of its brutality, but because of the sheer number of civilian casualties.
The government’s response, both in terms of investigation and retaliation, will likely shape security policies in Kashmir for months to come.
What was supposed to be a scenic escape turned into a scene of horror. Families who came for peace left shattered. And a young officerâs dreamâof service and loveâwas ended by a bullet.
As India mourns the victims, the nationâs leaders have vowed justice. The world watchesâand waits.
