Kidnapped in Niger: How Five Jharkhand Migrants Vanished in a Violent Raid
5 Jharkhand Migrant Workers Kidnapped in Niger: Families Plead for Government’s Help
Indian Workers Trapped in a Foreign Nightmare
Five migrant workers from Jharkhand have been allegedly kidnapped in Niger, West Africa, sparking panic among their families and urgent calls for government intervention.
The victims — Sanjay Mahato, Chandrika Mahato, Raju Mahato, Faljit Mahato, and Uttam Mahato — all hail from Dondlo and Mundro Panchayat areas under the Bagodar police station in Giridih district, Jharkhand. They had moved to Niger last year to work with Kalpataru Power Transmission Limited (KPTL), a transmission company operating abroad.
How the Kidnapping Happened
According to reports from family members and officials, the shocking incident occurred last week when armed criminals attacked a workers’ camp. In the chaos, six people — including one local worker — were abducted at gunpoint.
The attack turned deadly when security forces retaliated, resulting in the deaths of at least 12 security officials. Since the kidnapping, there has been no word from the abducted men.
“We have no idea where they are. Please, the government must step in and rescue them,” cried a relative of one of the kidnapped workers.
Last Contact Before Disappearance
Damodar Kumar, the brother of Faljit Mahato, shared that the group was kidnapped on April 25. Since then, their phones have remained switched off, deepening the fears of their families.
Sanjay Mahato’s wife added tearfully,
“The last time I spoke to Sanjay was at 10 AM on Friday. After that, his phone went dead. We were later told by his colleagues that he has been kidnapped.”
The workers’ families are now living every moment in anxiety, hoping for any positive news.
Political Leaders Step In
As the news of the kidnapping spread, local leaders rushed to support the affected families.
Former Bagodar MLA Vinod Kumar Singh met the families and assured them that steps were being taken to bring their loved ones back safely. He also informed senior government officials and pushed for stronger action.
Narendra Prasad Gupta, the Sub-Divisional Magistrate, said,
“We have informed the senior officials and the Overseas Cell. We are also gathering information on our own. The administration stands firmly with the families.”
Chief Minister Hemant Soren Appeals for Help
Understanding the seriousness of the situation, Jharkhand Chief Minister Hemant Soren officially appealed to India’s External Affairs Minister S. Jaishankar for swift intervention.
In a heartfelt post on social media platform X (formerly Twitter), Mr. Soren wrote:
“Union External Affairs Minister, Honourable @DrSJaishankar Ji is requested to please provide help to our migrant brothers from Jharkhand who have been kidnapped in Niger as per information.”
The Chief Minister’s office is closely monitoring the situation and has pledged full support to the families.
Families Living in Fear and Uncertainty
Back in Jharkhand, the families of the kidnapped workers are spending sleepless nights, praying for their safe return. With limited information and no direct contact, the fear grows stronger each day.
Many locals from the villages of Dondlo and Mundro have also joined the families, staging peaceful gatherings to demand swift action.
What Happens Next?
As the Indian government works through diplomatic channels, pressure is mounting to ensure the safe release of the five workers.
While the situation remains tense, families are holding on to hope — believing that with swift government action, their loved ones will soon return home safely.

